Hello readers!
You have stumbled upon a small undergraduate student's (my) courSe LOG (SLOG), where, for the next few months, I will be posting about all things CSC165. The full name of this course is Mathematical Expression and Reasoning for Computer Science. Quite a mouthful, is it not? However, so far it's been very interesting, since I have always wanted to test to what extent my own logic is capable of. Since this is my first blog post, I will be just doing some first impressions on the course and the material we've covered so far.
First off, I would like to say that I have never taken any course like this before, so this material is all very foreign to me. From the emphasis on precise wording to the mystical venn diagrams that contained the universe, not to mention the new notation that I needed to learn, this seemed all very new and uncertain. After about a week of worrying about not being able to keep up with the coursework, I decided to buckle down and just enjoy the ride.
The material shown to us during the first week was by no means difficult, it was just new. We learned about ambiguity, precision, and building sets in python, including empty sets and booleans. In order to visualize and verify sets built in python, we were introduced to a venn diagram approach. At first, I was utterly baffled and was not sure of how the circles or crosses helped the problem, or if all the parts of the diagram needed to be filled in. However, after going through class examples, along with help from a wise friend, I was starting to understand the basic concepts behind the diagrams and what it represented.
This week, we have started material on quantifiers and I am very interested to see what we can do with this new tool.
tl;dr version: The first week of class is always hectic, but once you get into the groove of things, everything will be much better.
Have a good one! (I'll come up with a catchy end-phrase for next week)
Lana :)
You have stumbled upon a small undergraduate student's (my) courSe LOG (SLOG), where, for the next few months, I will be posting about all things CSC165. The full name of this course is Mathematical Expression and Reasoning for Computer Science. Quite a mouthful, is it not? However, so far it's been very interesting, since I have always wanted to test to what extent my own logic is capable of. Since this is my first blog post, I will be just doing some first impressions on the course and the material we've covered so far.
First off, I would like to say that I have never taken any course like this before, so this material is all very foreign to me. From the emphasis on precise wording to the mystical venn diagrams that contained the universe, not to mention the new notation that I needed to learn, this seemed all very new and uncertain. After about a week of worrying about not being able to keep up with the coursework, I decided to buckle down and just enjoy the ride.
The material shown to us during the first week was by no means difficult, it was just new. We learned about ambiguity, precision, and building sets in python, including empty sets and booleans. In order to visualize and verify sets built in python, we were introduced to a venn diagram approach. At first, I was utterly baffled and was not sure of how the circles or crosses helped the problem, or if all the parts of the diagram needed to be filled in. However, after going through class examples, along with help from a wise friend, I was starting to understand the basic concepts behind the diagrams and what it represented.
This week, we have started material on quantifiers and I am very interested to see what we can do with this new tool.
tl;dr version: The first week of class is always hectic, but once you get into the groove of things, everything will be much better.
Have a good one! (I'll come up with a catchy end-phrase for next week)
Lana :)
Comments
Post a Comment