Hello my good friends!
This week is the coveted fall reading break, and I hope you all are doing something useful with your time, like me, who is currently writing my SLOG.
Now that the course is nearing its end, I would like to take it back to the beginning and try to solve one of those logic puzzles, using the Polya method we learned in class. I am, afterall, an amateur logician now, am I not?
So here is the puzzle I have found from the problem solving wiki page.
So without further ado, I present to you:
Walk Tilings
Suppose you have tiles that are 1x2 rectangles, and you have to tile a walk that is 2x3 units long. You've got three choices: 3 vertical tiles, 1 vertical tile followed by two horizontal tiles, or two horizontal tiles followed by one vertical tiles.
How many choices do you have in tiling a 2x4 walk? How about a 2xn walk, where n is some natural number? Do you have a procedure that works for any n?
- Understanding the Problem
- Ultimately we want to know the number of ways you can tile a 2 by n walk using 1 by 2 tiles.
- This is the notation I have used in my notebook:
- Since the walk is always 2 units wide, we can use a notation that is just 1 unit wide since the possibilities will always be a mirror image if you put a line through the middle of the 2 unit width.
- Furthermore, I will represent the horizontal tiles as h and the vertical tiles as v (we must remember that h is always 2 units long, and v is 1 unit long)
- For example, a 2x9 walk may be tiled as such:
- hhvvvvv
- Since 2 * 2 = 4 and 5 * 1 = 5 and 4 + 5 = 9, this notation works
- Devising a Plan
- My plan was simple: to map out a few of those walks and find a pattern! Sounds reasonable, but boy was I unprepared.
- A part of my plan was to keep track of
- Which n I was on, and what the total options were
- What was the breakdown of h's and v's and how many options they produced in relation to n
- Look out for any constants that seemed to repeat for certain groups
- I had a feeling that even and odd n's would produce 2 separate patterns, so I would look out for patterns in only odd or even n's
- Carrying Out the Plan
- After carrying out my 'plan', I realized that this was no simple problem to solve!
- I drew out the tiles for up to n = 9, which took a long time (thinking back I should have just written a program on python to have done it, oh silly me)
- While I was able to find some sort of constant for the odds and evens (1 + (n - 1) = n for odd n's and 1 + (n - 1) + 1 for even n's), all the other variables seemed very random and had lost relation to n or the h's and v's once it got to n = 9
- Looking Back
- The solution I obtained in the end was non-conclusive; as I did not know how to find just the right way to look at the numbers
- As I mentioned before, I will definitely utilize my programming mini-powers (as the are by no means superpowers as of yet) to help speed things up
- I will not look at the solution just yet as I would like to tackle this problem once more at a different time
So it turned out that my problem solving adventure gave no results, however I will not be discouraged! I will definitely come back to this and try to solve more problems.
Have a nice fall break everyone!
Lana :)
Comments
Post a Comment