Skip to main content

Well this is a little awkward...

Hey friend,

So remember when I thought that I had made my last post back in 2015, only to start posting again for a new course, and then again in 2016? Well, turns out my professor may have been on to something and I find myself wanting to write more. I thought it helped me learn and explaining concepts to others truly is one of the best ways to solidify your own knowledge. That's why I thought I would start this back up... though maybe the SLOG life isn't quite the name I would go for anymore. I'll eventually find a new name. I will probably also try to find some time to give the blog its own "look". I have gained some new skills over the years so I would like to apply that to this space as well!

In my first few posts, I would like to talk about accessible design and some workflows I have developed for myself to ensure clear accessible design. I know it's a bit of a separation from the historical posts, being more algorithmic and backend design, but I thought it would be nice to have my own little hub of coding-related topics to go back to.

Lana :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 12: Halting Problem Visualized

Hello readers! I'm sure you're all hard at work trying to finish assignment 3. I just wanted to take a few minutes to share with you a video I found on the halting problem. It may be a tad overdramatic (especially with the music) and corny, but it does explain the problem quite well. Here's part 1 (which can be skipped if you want): And part 2, which is where the real explanation of the halting function starts (skip to 2:33 if you don't like corny dialogue): Hopefully this helps with your endeavors (or at least is a bit entertaining)! Good luck with the assignment! Lana :)

Week 5: Tracing Recursion

Hello readers! How have you guys been recently? I have been bombarded with a myriad of tests, labs, and assignments, as usual, but I'll holding up alright! Today's blurb is on tracing recursion! As you all know, a recursive function is basically any function that is called within itself. You'll need it any time a bigger problem can be solved by solving smaller versions of a same type of problem until you get your answer to the big one. Kind of. At least that's how I see it. Anyhow, tracing recursion is not as bad as it sounds, it takes some bit of practice, of course, but all in all it will eventually click. Tracing recursion was on the test this week went successfully I should think. The quasi-solution I came out with with involved the function we needed to trace giving the maximum length of any lists that were fed into it, including the length of the overall list. If I am correct, then my tracing would have been successful. We shall see in due time! Bu...

Week 10: How to solve a problem

Hello my good friends! This week is the coveted fall reading break, and I hope you all are doing something useful with your time, like me, who is currently writing my SLOG. Now that the course is nearing its end, I would like to take it back to the beginning and try to solve one of those logic puzzles, using the Polya method we learned in class. I am, afterall, an amateur logician now, am I not? So here is the puzzle I have found from the problem solving wiki page. So without further ado, I present to you: Walk Tilings Suppose you have tiles that are 1x2 rectangles, and you have to tile a walk that is 2x3 units long. You've got three choices: 3 vertical tiles, 1 vertical tile followed by two horizontal tiles, or two horizontal tiles followed by one vertical tiles. How many choices do you have in tiling a 2x4 walk? How about a 2xn walk, where n is some natural number? Do you have a procedure that works for any n? Understanding the Problem Ultimately ...